It’s happened to the best of us: your alarm doesn’t go off, class starts in five minutes, and you’re scrambling to throw some clothes on your body when you catch a glimpse of your hair in the mirror and think, “Damn… I could really use to shower.” What to do when you’ve got greasy hair and no time to wash?
Grab your dry shampoo, of course. Dry shampoo is a powder that absorbs oil in your hair and leaves a clean-smelling scent. Usually packaged in a spray can, dry shampoo remedies greasy “second day” (or “running-late morning”) hair, adds volume, and keeps your mane fresh sans water.
Dry shampoo works better on some kinds of hair than others. If you’re a blonde, sprinkle it on; but gals with super-dark hair should be a bit wary, because it might be more difficult to blend the pale powder in. For limp-haired ladies like myself whose hair gets greasy just by talking about it, dry shampoo is your savior for both greasiness and adding volume. And for girls with damaged hair who simply can’t shampoo every day, dry shampoo works great in between washes.
Think you fall into one of the above categories and are brave enough to sprinkle powder in your already-dirty hair? Here are our favorite products… go ahead, get shampooing.
1. Don’t be turned off by Batiste Dry Shampoo’s seriously retro packaging and instead take it as a reassuring sign— this product has been beloved by dry shampoo users since the 1970s. The shampoo, which has won top beauty awards, wins our vote for its variety of scents and super-low price ($7.99 at Ulta).
2. From the top name in the hair care business, Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo has an excellent reputation. The small bottle has a narrow nozzle for precise application, and the lemon verbena scent is to die for ($11 at Sephora).
3. Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo is made with gentle oat extract and is favorite of top fashion and beauty mag editors— probably because it also comes in a convenient travel size for busy gals on the go ($7.50 at Sephora).
4. Light and fragrance-free, Frederic Fekkai Au Naturel Shampoo is a subtle fix. Boasting natural ingredients, this product neutralized unwanted odors for a barely-there clean ($23 at Sephora).
5. When it comes to convenience, drugstore favorite Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo can’t be beat. This product’s got great reviews, a fresh citrus scent, and the advantage of being stocked at your local CVS. What’s not to love? ($4.39, CVS)