Healthy but Yummy Holiday Appetizers
By Megan O'Connell, Student at UW-Platteville
I’ve researched some quick, yummy and healthy holiday appetizers so hopefully you can impress friends and family without all of the stress.
Have any quick holiday appetizers of your own? I’d love to hear them! Send me a link on Twitter @meg_ocon.
Mini Spinach Calzones (from Better Homes and Gardens):
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1/2 8 ounce package reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 13.8 ounce package refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil and lightly coat the foil with cooking spray. Set baking sheets aside. For filling, in a medium bowl, stir together spinach, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, green onion and pepper. Set aside.
2. Unroll pizza dough on a lightly-floured surface. Roll dough into a 15-inch square. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into 25 3-inch squares. Spoon a slightly rounded teaspoon of filling onto the center of each square. In a small mixing bowl, use a fork to combine egg white and water. Brush edges of dough squares with egg white mixture. Lift a corner of each square and stretch dough over filling to opposite corner, making a triangle. Press edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
3. Arrange the calzones on prepared baking sheets. Prick tops of calzones with fork. Brush tops of calzones with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Bake one sheet at a time for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on baking sheets. Serve warm.
Sweet Chili Cranberry Meatballs Recipe (From Kitchenability)
- 16-oz can of jellied cranberry sauce
- 1-½ cups of sweet chili sauce.
- 2 12 ounces packages of frozen precooked turkey meatballs.
- 2 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
1. Place cranberry sauce and sweet chili sauce in sauce pot or slow cooker over low heat.
2. Mix the cranberry sauce and sweet chili together until combined.
3. Add in the brown sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine.
4. Allow the sauce to slowly warm, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add in frozen meatballs. Cover and cook the sauce and meatballs together on low for about 45 minutes until warmed through and cranberry/chili flavor has infused the meatballs.
6. Stir occasionally with a rubber spatula, being sure to scrape down the sides of the pot.
7. Serve and enjoy!
- 1 ½ ounces peppermint schnapps
- 3 ounces chocolate liquor
- 1 ounce of Baileys
- Simple Syrup
- Crushed Candy Canes
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake until well mixed. Strain contents into a martini glass. Feeling festive? Dust the rim with crushed up candy canes.
Image courtesy of digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Head on over to 1,000 Dreams Fund to learn how to get funding for your dreams!