Orderly, functional, structured, systematic, well-run, methodical, efficient. Are these words that describe your life? For most college women, the answer is no. As we run around trying to simply get by with all the tasks we have to do, “neat and orderly” don’t always fit. In reality, a little extra time spend organizing your life might save you a lot of time and stress in the long run.
Here are some things you can do to make life a little easier and a lot more organized:
1. Use a planner! While it might seem like a pain in the rear to carry it around, it will help you keep it together. You will be able to keep track of school stuff, finals, due dates, etc. Plus, you can remember social events, we have all been there … double booking a Friday night and having to cancel on some angry friends because we forgot!
2. Keep post-its around! There are always those times in life where you remember something, have a great idea, or just plain need to write something down. Keep a pad of post-its in your purse or on your coffee table so you can jot down your fabulous thoughts before they fleet away.
3. Be organized with your studying. Think about how long you’re going to study for and how many breaks you will take for how long. I read for school endlessly, so I will decide beforehand that I’m going to read for 2 hours then take a 30 minute lunch break. Having it planned out makes it easier not to get distracted because you have a break to look forward too and not to take breaks that end up lasting 3 hours because you started watching a movie, you know what I’m talking about.
4. Have a binder or folder for each class! Having a separate space for each class makes it easier to find things when you need them. Keep the syllabus in there and also returned papers and handouts from class. Then you will know exactly where everything is when you need it.
5. Keep the rest of your life clutter-free and organized! By this I mean things like your study space. Keeps your books in the same place so you always know where to find them. Put stuff away when you’re done so you’re not digging through a 3 inch stack of papers at the last minute looking for something. Keep your purse cleaned out so what you need is easily accessible (and I know this is hard considering the trendy-ness of huge handbags!)
These things might seem annoying and time consuming while you’re doing them but we are shooting for long term here … think about the benefits: saved time and less stress. So grab your post-its and get to it!
Hey—do you like reading our Chicsters’ thoughts and advice about college life? Then you’ll want to check out U Chic: The College Girl’s Guide to Everything, available on Amazon and at your local bookstores!
Want to write for University Chic? Go to our Chicsters page
and sign up today!