Sequins are no longer reserved for the likes of Michelle Kwan and five-year old girls playing Princess. This winter, everything from going-out dresses to everyday tees are sprinkled with sparkly sequins. But how separate the trendy from the tacky, the cute from the costumey? Here are some great sequin peices, from tees to dresses to shorts- all for less than $50.
– In the elusive search for the balance between dressy and casual, a sequined tunic strikes it just right. This sleeveless black tunic from Forever 21 ($17.80) features subtle yet sparkly bands of navy blue sequins that dress up the otherwise simple shape. With a cute zipper detail up the back, this long tank would look perfect with black tights and ankle boots or skinny jeans and flats.
– Sequins take your LBD (Little Black Dress) up a notch, like on this simple sleeveless dress from Forever 21 ($29.80). With a bow at the top and a sparkly band at the waist, this girly yet sophisticated dress is the perfect party outfit- the sequins are all the accessories you need. Just add heels!
– For a dress that says “sexy” instead of “sweet,” rock Charlotte Russe‘s all-over sequin minidress ($24.99). The simple tank shape and scoop neck are flattering on every body, and in basic black, any accessory works! And don’t worry: because the sequins are matte, the only disco ball in the room will be the one on the ceiling.
– The trend of the moment? Short, tight skirts, just like this great sequin mini from Wet Seal ($19.80). Sparkle the night away with shiny black sequins in a simple no-frills design- just pull this stretchy peice on with a little white v-neck tee and black booties and you’re party-ready!
– The most creative way to wear sequins might just be these adorable Silence + Noise tap shorts from Urban Outfitters ($28). With a loose swingy shape, the all-over sequin shorts work with tights and heels or bare-legged with flats, and all four colors look great with a variety of tops (see the UO models rock the shorts with solid tanks, cardigans, blazers and tees.) Definitely a style for the fearless fashionista, these flirty shorts are our favorite way to sparkle for under $50!
For more awesome sequin looks, check out the “Shine On” section on the Urban Outfitters website. From cardigans and shorts to dresses and jewelry, it’s all there… hop on over and get your sparkle on.