The days are longer, the sun is warmer, and the summer is in full swing. You have grad parties, family picnics, bonfires, and beach trips to prepare for. I’ve looked through the latest things on my friends’ and the trends I see when I’m out and added some of my personal go-tos to the list! This summer is all about being comfortable and free in your looks… here are my top 10!
1. The maxi. Whether it’s a maxi skirt or a maxi dress, the full-length is here to stay this summer. With more of a traditional bohemian sort of look, the maxi is trendy and comfortable. This summer they seem to be shifting from the ‘free spirit’ look to a preppier look, with brands like Lilly Pulitzer and Modcloth designing their own takes on a classic maxi.
2. The crop-top. While I’m still a little shaky on this trend myself, the crop top has proved itself to be a new staple for the summer closet. Pair it with a maxi skirt, high-waisted shorts, or even some distressed jeans and you’re set for a summer night. It’s light, fun, and a good contrast from the internship business-wear and day-to-day look.
3. Sleek hair. The tight pony, straightened hair, polished curls—it’s all about having your hair in control against the summer heat. Even a looser fishtail braid is included in this pulled-together look. Just watch your ends and you’re set!
4. Small bags. They say “summertime and the living’s easy,” so just bring your wallet, your phone, your go-to lipstick or gloss and hit the road! Little side bags, especially with pops of color, are a great look this summer. Easy, fun, stylish. Two of my favorites include this Kate Spade and this J Crew.
5. Nails. Nothing is more fun than brightly-painted or creatively-designed nails. Whether you’re following a theme- watermelons, suns, or 4th of July, it’s fun to mix it up. Pinterest and Instagram are full of ideas- if you ever need a relaxing afternoon activity that won’t break the bank, take a peek and try something out! I love these: Nautical and Shark Week.
6. Lips. A bright gloss is light, flirty and looks fabulous this summer. It’s all about the reds and corals. A chubby stick and clear gloss will cover you through graduation parties, brunches, and dinners outside with the girls. Not every shade is created equal—go test out a few colors before committing!
7. The Wedges. They’re cute enough to wear to work, dinner, or a party, and comfortable enough to want to wear them! The ultimate summer sandal, wedges are versatile and cute. I live in my wedges in the spring and summer and am sad after labor day when the window of opportunity has closed. I just bought these Guess wedges and wear them all the time (and get lots of compliments!) I’ve also been keeping an eye on these coral wedges.
8. Sneakers. For all of the adventures you’ll be having this summer, a comfortable walking shoe is a must—but it should also still be cute. A simple pair of Vans or these adorable Kate Spade Keds will be perfect with any casual sundress or walking outfit.
9. Sundresses. A girl can never go wrong with a variety of sundresses in her summer wardrobe. Having some on the more casual side and some on the nicer side makes for a balanced closet. Pair the casual ones with some converse and the nicer ones with wedges and you’re good to go! I love any of the dresses at Lulu’s or Francesca’s.
10. Monograms. While I used to think monograms were a more “southern” trend, they are everywhere! I think my dorm room ended up just being one big monogram boutique by the end of the spring semester. From monogrammed bracelets to baseball caps, any personal touch to your outfit will add a little pop. From the traditional script to the more trendy curved fonts, you can add a little bit of yourself to your daily looks. I am loving this Marley Lilly clutch and cuff! You’ll also see monogrammed beach towels, drink coozies, and sunhats on every beach.
What are your favorite summer looks! Share with me @sarahgdougherty and tag #UChic to share favorites or leave us a comment below. Want more great inspiration? Stay in-the-know with great tips from our Chicsters and LYDStars on our Facebook Twitter and TUMBLR pages.